Friday, July 23, 2010

Tool # Ocho

So, if you go to the bottom of my blogspace, you will see some youtube videos regarding WWII and concentration camps, which I would like to use w/ my students while we are reading Number the Stars next school year. I like the relative ease of being able to bring up real footage at the drop of a hat (that is, if the network is feeling kind and will allow), and I like the fact that it is already stored in a place where I may easily access it. I think this kind of footage (somewhat graphic, so admin. and parents will need to view it beforehand...would not a problem) would be helpful in getting to kids to understand the futility of war, as well as the foolishness of seeing others as "other"..., in a way that leads to racial profiling, discrimination, etc., ultimately homicide in this case. This would allow them to understand a great deal of the background that the book itself does not cover, background that is needed to get a full picture and, in fact, give students some prior knowledge to which information in the book may be connected and used to infer, make generalizations, determine cause/effect relationships, etc. Makes sense, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment